Friday, August 24, 2012

Tomato Fried Rice and Cocoa Brownies

Such a simple, fast lunch couldn't have come on a better day, when I really want the kitchen to stay cool.


Started with leftover rice and about a third of this huge beefsteak tomato, sliced into fingers. The rice went into the frying pan with a little sesame oil, to heat it back up and add nutty flavor. I realized I wanted tomato halfway through! Powdered ginger and a little pepper rounded it out.


After the rice and tomatoes were warmed up (and the rice had absorbed the oil), they went into a bowl and I fried the egg in the same skillet, this time with olive oil. It's what I'm used to, and I didn't want to add any more intense sesame flavor. I fried the egg until its edges were crispy and happily, the yolk met with perfect runniness.


Sunny and easy lunch! Ha ha ha, egg puns, but it was fried, ha ha ha.

 Refreshing and not too hot.


And then I followed it up with one of these brownies, based on Smitten Kitchen's recipe. So fudgy. I don't normally go for that in brownies, but these are so decadent that it works.


No comments: